January 15, 2013

The Music that Gets Me to Work

Every morning I am up at 5:30 AM.  I LOATHE 5:30 AM.  I have a three month old who can't nurse (more on that later), but I still would like him to get the benefits of breastmilk as opposed to formula, so I have to pump every 4 hours or so to keep up with the little fatty.  Don't believe me that he's a fatty?  This is my 16.4 pound almost 15 week old:

Someone is a healthy baby!
Fatty baby is good... he's a healthy baby, I just won't be able to lift him pretty soon.

So, back to 5:30AM.  I pump until about 6, get ready in a half hour, and I'm out the door in freezing weather (New England... it's cold).  I have to walk about a mile to and from the train station to get in and out of the city.  So, 6:30 AM, freezing January weather, oh, and it's pitch black out still.  The picture I'm trying to paint here: It sucks.  I've been trying to figure out how to make it a LITTLE easier.

As I walk to the train every day, I listen to music with my headphones.  Quality headphones are KEY when you commute on public transit.  Don't skimp.  I wear Bose ie2s and I would gladly buy 5 more pairs if I had to in order to sustain the level of comfort they supply me on my trek into the city.  My usual musical choices are loud, angry, and sometimes very depressing.  In order to help my mornings feel a smidge more cheery, I've instituted a new "chipper song" policy.  Here were today's chipper songs:

First: Hands are Clever by Alex Clare


I love Alex Clare.  His soulful voice pairs so well with a variety of songs as shown from this album... he can wear so many musical hats.  I also NEVER expected that voice to come out of him.  The upbeat ... beats... in this song just make me want to dance around.  To be honest, I don't even pay attention to the words, I just want to dance when this song comes on.

Next: We'll be Alright by Travie McCoy


That's a spectacular image right there^.  It's just about how the song makes me feel, too.  The upbeat song and lyrics make me want to have a little party... so I do.  Just imagine me in the darkness, walking down the sidewalk, bopping up and down to this song.  It's amazing I'm sure.  Unfortunately, I'm not the one who gets to watch.

Last, but CERTAINLY NOT least: On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons


These guys are my absolute favorite right now.  This song makes me dance.  I can't help it. It's involuntary.  Best part is: I really can't dance.  This song is so positive, the music is so upbeat, and I just love it.  It makes me all warm in the heart area which is pretty impressive because there has been some debate on whether I had one... a heart that is,

So, if you need a pick me up, grab some headphones, download these songs or use a program on your phone like Grooveshark (love it!) to give them a listen for an instant mood boost!

2 comments:

  1. Your baby is so adorable and the music, definite must haves in the iPOD. Not sure if they sell it over there but if you can check, COLOUD headphones are really good for moms because they are tangle free. Seriously. I know sometimes we just kinda throw in the headphones so this is really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check those out! I take public transit so I tend to toss mine in my purse and the cord is getting a bit messed up and I am more than willing to pay for a set that will last me.

      And thank you for the comment about the babe... I think we'll keep him hehe

      Delete